Monday, July 13, 2009

What a hassle!

So Thursday, July 9 after work I went in to the lab, and they said I'd only get a call if it was positive, and it would probably be that same night, if not the next morning. Well, along rolls Friday mid-day and I haven't heard anything. Conveniently, I had an appointment with the chiropractor that afternoon, so I stopped by the lab afterwards.
The receptionist asked me if I was there for a test. I told her I was actually there to find out the results of one I took last night. No one else was in the waiting room, except for an RN, so I explained what the other receptionist told me. This receptionist also said I should have gotten a call at least by this morning. I told her, too, that I still hadn't heard anything. So the RN walked behind the desk and the lady pulled up my record. They looked at the screen, at each other, then pointed to multiple places on the screen. I finally looked at them and told them I'd already taken 2 home pregnancy tests, and they were both positive. I just wanted to know who to talk to now! The RN said that I would have to talk to a nurse, because (and she lowered her voice to practically a whisper - note: there is still no one else in the waiting room) it's positive.
When I asked if I can call member services or who I should talk to, the receptionist gasped. Then proceeded to tell me that I should call the clinic and ask them what my results were, since I hadn't heard back...as if they would get in trouble for telling me what my results were. At this time I was very close to banging my head on the counter.

So later that day I called the clinic and told them that, and they said they could leave a msg for someone to call me (really?!) back about the results. This time I found out that the July 24 "soonest available" appt was for a lactation consult! So the lady I need to see (before anyone else) isn't open until Aug 4! So far away! I do realize that this is an okay problem to have in the general scope of things. But when I asked the nurse who called how soon they like to see newly pregnant ladies, and she said they usually like to get them in before/about 8 weeks...which Aug 1 would be exactly 8 weeks for me. So she said she'd put a request in for this lady - apparently there are secret times or something that are held for cases just like this (or people who find out they're a lot further along than they think they might be...).

No comments:

Post a Comment