Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First appt!

So today was the first appt with our OB (she will also conveniently be the baby's doctor, too!). Needless to say, it took a little longer than normal...but don't all doctor's appointments? *sigh* Even so, I really like this doc. The OB coordinator told me when I chose her, that this doctor likes a hands-on approach, and attends about 95% of her patients' deliveries. Other docs may not, and you might end up with the doc on call. I'm hopeful...although, we are due around spring break ;)

I got there, the nurse called me back, and said "So have you been the lab already?" nope...no lab visit for me - completely forgot. So, in the exam room, she handed me a glass, and I helped myself to lots dixie cup after dixie cup of water... I guess I could have controlled myself a little - it was only a urine test (protein and glucose), after all.

We did the typical "have you had this? anyone in the family? what about this? that?" Steve was curiously watching, as our clinic uses Epic's software...always looking for improvements ;)

We still have to decide about the genetic testing, so the doc explained that a bit. Then, it was time for an exam to confirm the due date. When she first checked me out, she said, "well, there's either more than one, or you're a lot further along." I asked how far along "further" was...and she said "15-16 weeks" !!! So, she let me go do my lab test :) and had me come back up (which involved further waiting). This time, she said "no, you just had a really big bladder, and you're right where we thought you were - about 9.5 weeks."

Quite the event - it took about 2 hours (I was told it was scheduled for an hour). Oh well... :)

1 comment:

  1. You have to give a urine sample EVERY time you go in for an appointment? That's weird. My office doesn't make you leave samples (which happens to be done by the nurses in the office, so you just have to go to the bathroom after you check in, or after the bp check before the doc comes in, and then put your name on the cup, and then stick it in the little window box they have between the bathrooms and the lab) until about halfway through the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete